Although you might think that adjustable beds are more like something that you’d be more likely to find in a hospital or nursing home, those people who do try one realize that they can really change their lives. Having a bed that allows you to sleep in the most comfortable position for you ensures that you get the most restful night and best possible quality of sleep so that you can enjoy better physical and mental health. Poor quality of sleep results in medical problems which can have a detrimental effect on your life, so considering an adjustable bed could be the answer.
How Can Adjustable Beds Help You Sleep Better?
There are a number of reasons to consider an adjustable bed, including:
- Better sleep quality – by being able to choose the precise position in which you sleep you will have more recuperative and less disturbed rest.
- Less pain and aching in the morning – while a standard bed may leave you aching and in pain in your joints and muscles when you wake up in the morning, an adjustable bed reduces the incidence of back pain in sleepers and reduces the chances of joint pain since it reduces strain on the pressure points. By being able to raise the foot or head of the bed at the touch of a switch you can relieve pressure where you need it.
- Less snoring – being able to adjust the head of your bed can reduce snoring considerably since there will be less pressure on the windpipe. This ensures better sleep quality for both you and your partner.
- Better blood circulation – if you have swollen ankles or legs, keeping them elevated is the best way to reduce the swelling and prevent pain. Instead of the inconvenience of using a pillow or cushion, an adjustable bed is able to effortlessly lift your legs and feet reducing the swelling and helping you to sleep and feel better.
- Ease of getting into and out of bed – if you have limited movement you will find that an adjustable bed allows you to get into and out of your bed more easily, reducing the strain on the muscles and joints.
- How To Choose An Adjustable Bed
Now you know the benefits of getting an adjustable bed you need to know what to consider. Some of the factors to bear in mind include:
- Cost – adjustable beds come at a range of price points however the best quality ones can be very costly. Determine how much you can afford to spend before going shopping.
- Existing bed components – if you want to use your existing bed frame or headboard you need to check that they are compatible with the model you choose.
- Mattress and base compatibility – you will need to find a mattress which can conform to the bed’s contours and memory foam or latex are the obvious choice. There are mattresses which are designed specifically for use on adjustable beds.
- Transportation and set up – adjustable bed bases are heavy and hard to manoeuvre. You may also need to assemble some components and therefore getting assistance may be essential. Many adjustable bed manufacturers offer a delivery and set up service which will cost extra.
Adjustable Mattress Or Adjustable Bed: Which To Buy?
Although most people are aware of the existence of adjustable beds, less people know about adjustable mattresses.
Adjustable beds have press controls which allow you to adjust the position to manipulate the frame so you legs, upper body or both are elevated. Since the lower and upper parts of the bed can operate independently you have perfect control over your sleeping position. As all the mechanisms are hidden away inside the bed, there is no industrial appearance and they come in a choice of headboard designs and styles. They also come in different sizes with doubles having two mattresses which function independently.
Although less commonly seen, adjustable mattresses are a relatively recent invention which allow you to sleep comfortably while the mattress automatically adjusts to your needs. Products such as the Sleep Number 360 are smart beds which use cutting edge technology to sense the sleeper’s movements while in bed and the adjusts the firmness of the mattress automatically so you can achieve the perfect level of support and comfort for a restful night.
Best Adjustable Mattresses
The Sleep Number is the best known adjustable mattress and offers an outstanding sleeping experience for all kinds of sleepers. Even two sleepers in the same bed can enjoy a customized experience thanks to the advanced technology incorporated in this clever product. You’ll need to buy it straight from a dealer, though.
Best Adjustable Beds
There are more types of adjustable beds on the market, mostly combinations of typical mattresses and variable bases. Here are some of the best:
The Amerisleep adjustable bed is modern, sleek and stylish with excellent value and durability. Protected by a 20 year warranty, this bed is a favorite with customers thanks to its memory foam mattress made from plant based materials.
One of the most technologically advanced adjustable beds on the market, the Ludic L300 has connected charging and wireless functionality. Solid, customizable and durable, this bed has an attractive upholstered frame, a wireless remote, two USB charging stations and a flashlight.
Ideal for two sleepers, the TEMPUR Contour Supreme mattress provides the best possible comfort with its dual TEMPUR layers for a combo firm or soft feel to suit your preferences. As the material is also moisture wicking you’ll stay comfortably cool even during the hottest night and the wireless remote and compatibility with smartphones via the Ergo-Premier app makes this a technologically advanced choice. Be sure to pair it with the matching base:
If you want to customize your sleep with the best adjustable bed, we’d suggest you try the Ludic L300 for its advanced design and wireless functionality.
Now that you know more about adjustable beds and adjustable mattresses you can make an informed decision about whether one is the right choice for you. Although they may sound like something that would be best suited to a nursing home, when you actually experience the customized level of comfort that these beds provide you will wonder how you ever managed to sleep before you invested in one!
We’ve got all your sleep needs covered with reviews of the best mattresses, pillows, and more! You can find links to all our buying guides and other content on our homepage.
- How Much Does A Car Battery Cost? Our Complete Guide - June 14, 2018
- Best CPAP Mask Reviews - June 14, 2018
- Carpet Cost FAQ: Installation Prices & Everything Else You Need To Know - June 14, 2018