Whether you have a big or a small bedroom, a storage bed is a nice addition to your space. The additional storage space it can offer will help you keep your home organized. You have various options when it comes to storage beds. There are those with pull-out drawers under the bed that tuck away those random knick-knacks and valuable collections you have. There are those with built-in bookcase and racks.
If you are on the hunt for the best storage bed, you came to the right place. We will make it easier for you to find the storage beds that will suit your unique needs and aesthetic preferences. Stick around to find out which ones we highly recommend and get some tips on how to single out the storage bed that will work for you.
Benefits of Choosing a Storage Bed
1. You get more storage for your things.
Keep your belongings secure with the help of these storage beds. You can choose from those beds with a hidden storage underneath. Simply pull out the drawer and stow away your important documents or anything you want removed from your sight.
2. It makes your bedroom look more streamlined.
Are you aesthetically challenged? Do you find it difficult to pick out furniture pieces that look cohesive? Get yourself a storage bed then. That way, you don’t have the burden of choosing too many furnitures in your room. With a more streamlined bedroom, there is more room for other things such as potted plants to prettify your space.
3. You can save more money on bedroom furniture.
Rather than get a separate shelf for your books, get a storage bed that already comes with a built-in bookshelf. It will save you a lot of money in buying extra furniture and having them shipped or delivered to you.
4. There are fewer things to clean.
With just one furniture to deal with, you can save so much time in cleaning and maintaining your space. You don’t need to dust off too many furniture. It also forces you to take a minimalist approach in your space. Rather than fill up your bedroom with things that only accrue clutter, the storage bed encourages you to only keep what you need.
5. You are getting a more stable frame and base for your mattress.
The extra materials underneath the bed, as well as extra support from the exterior shelves provide more stability for your mattress. Your bed is unlikely to get damaged.
Additionally, if you ever find yourself moving to a new place, you have fewer things to transport. Because your bed already acts as a storage space, you don’t have too much furniture to take care of.
Tips in Buying the Best Storage Bed
Now that you know all these, it is time to get yourself the best storage bed. Here are some tips you should keep in mind, so you can find the one that will be the best fit for your bedroom:
1. Choose the frame design that includes the storage capacity you prefer.
Do you need an extra storage space for your books? Do you want a hidden drawer to keep all your extra clothes or documents? Choose a design that will work with your space needs. If you need more storage space, go for one with more storage drawers or shelves. If not, a simple pull out drawer mechanism under the bed would suffice.
2. Measure the space you intend for the mattress.
If you are getting the bigger storage beds that include more storage spaces, you are most likely getting a bed that takes up extra floor space. Make sure there is a space for it in your bedroom. You should be able to pull out the drawers seamlessly. If it bumps into side tables or doors, it might not be the best choice.
3. Take scale into consideration.
That bed with a lot of external drawers and even comes with a headboard that doubles as a bookcase may look great, but it might be too big for you. It might be too tall and could make getting in and out of the bed a lot more difficult. It may also look colossal in a small room. Also make sure you still think about what would work aesthetically in your bedroom.
4. Check the materials used.
Since you will be pulling out drawers or adding in more things, make sure the frame is made from durable materials. The drawer mechanisms should also be able to withstand frequent usage. Find out what sort of materials they are using to know whether the storage bed will last you for a long time.
5. It should be easy to assemble.
Assembly for these beds can be painful because there are more things you need to hook up. Make sure it comes with a detailed manual to show you just how it is assembled.
Additionally, check the structural integrity of the storage bed. Make sure it can accommodate your mattress well and it has a nice and stable base to support your mattress.
Best Storage Beds 2019 Reviews
There are plenty of good choices out there, you can even have one custom-made for you, but here are the best ones that can be shipped to your home:
- DHP Rose Linen Tufted Upholstered Platform Bed
- Prepac Queen Mate’s Platform Storage Bed
- Novogratz Kelly Bed with Storage
- Discovery World Furniture Charcoal Full Bookcase Captain Bed
Now here are the things you should know about the beds:
1. DHP Rose Linen Tufted Upholstered Platform Bed
This storage bed upholstered with luxurious grey linen screams classy with its Tufted detailing. It is a fitting choice for a contemporary room but should easily find its way even in more vintage settings. No additional foundation or box spring is needed as the bentwood slat support system is more than enough to keep it upright.
The full and queen sizes have enough room for four drawers while the smaller twin size only has two. Another unique feature of this bed is the center leg that provides more stability to the bed.
- We like the elegance that this bed exudes. The Tufted detailing made from linen textile material is something that can easily fit in either contemporary or vintage style settings. It is generously padded, so you aren’t getting the feeling that the manufacturer skimped on materials.
- The storage drawers can be pulled out seamlessly. It has enough depth to hold a lot of your stuff – from clothes to extra bed sheets, these drawers should provide the extra storage space you need.
- The bentwood slat system not only gives the bed extra durability and stability, it also has a nice ventilation system that allows air to circulate freely around the mattress. This prevents condensation from forming. No need to spend money on a box spring. Just prop your mattress on it and you are good to go.
- Assembly is not that difficult. There aren’t a lot of parts to put together.
- The side and bottom of the drawers are made from plastic, which might not last long if you put too many stuff in it.
2. Prepac Queen Mate’s Platform Storage Bed
Neatly tuck away smaller articles of clothing or even your valuables in the storage drawers of this bed. With 6 drawers all boasting of a depth of 18 inches, you can hide more things in this bed than your typical side table. All of the drawers can be opened using a finger pull, so there is no external hardware to bump into.
No box spring is needed as it makes use of a slat support system that effectively takes on all the weight form the mattress. The manufacturer strategically positioned the wooden slats lengthwise so that the weight from the body will be distributed evenly, thereby preventing damage to the storage bed.
- You will like how stylish this storage bed looks. It has a minimalistic design that will work for spaces that also follow a minimalist aesthetic.
- It is made from good quality wood for stability and durability.
- The 6 drawers under it are all deep enough to accommodate more for your things. They can be opened seamlessly through a finger pull and a metal roller hardware.
- It doesn’t look cheap at all. Design-wise, it is at par with more expensive storage beds.
- There were complaints about the slats being too noisy. Some customers rectified that by using bolts to secure the slats in place. They were also able to reinforce the bed to hold up better against more weight.
3. Novogratz Kelly Bed with Storage
Make your bedroom look like a million bucks with this storage bed. It boasts of linen tufting and exudes an elegance that can instantly grab attention. All four of its drawers are deep and spacious enough to keep more of your personal things. Hide away all that clutter and make sure you never have to worry about them being in plain sight anymore.
This bed also comes with center legs for additional stability as well as metal side rails for support. It weighs 450 lbs. all in all but shouldn’t be a pain to assemble.
- This multifunctional storage bed is what you need to keep all your clutter hidden. It has ample storage space that can keep your bedroom organized.
- The design is very trendy. The height of the headboard is just right for a bigger space. Assembly for this storage bed is also a cinch. It comes with detailed instructions, so you shouldn’t have trouble getting it together in no time.
- The wood material used for this storage bed is strong and resistant to damages. It is also secured by a wooden slat system that helps distribute weight evenly. It prevents the mattress from sliding off with its center and side rails.
- You don’t need to buy a foundation or a box spring for this. Just put your mattress on it and you are good to go.
- The slats come with plastic attachments. It’s also important to read the instructions ahead of time, so you won’t accidentally break the plastic attachments.
4. Discovery World Furniture Charcoal Full Bookcase Captain Bed
This is a book lover’s dream bed. It is made from solid pine wood and has a gorgeous Charcoal Gray finish that will puncture traditional bedroom styles. The headboard has a lot of storage space for your books and other belongings. There are 6 slide out drawers on one side of the bed.
- This is a gorgeous storage bed that will hold up well against the test of time because of the solid pine wood material used for it. The grey finish is just stunning and can easily make a statement in a room.
- There is so much attention to detail in this bed. From the vertical wood slats at the front of the bed to the raised drawers with classy knobs, this is the piece de resistance in your bedroom.
- There is plenty of storage space to keep you organized.
- The height of the frame is ideal if you don’t like something that is too low.
- Many customers said it was easy to assemble and doesn’t feel flimsy.
- There were just a few issues with some parts being damaged due to shipment, but this can be rectified by customer service.
Which One Should You Get?
Chic Choice: DHP Rose Linen Tufted Upholstered Platform Bed. You will like the design of this storage bed if you are into modern theme. It has a nice tufting made from linen material that will instantly transform a drab bedroom into a classy one.
Great for Minimalist Bedrooms: Prepac Queen Mate’s Platform Storage Bed. Stay within your minimalist theme with the help of this mattress. It has a nice and streamlined design that minimizes clutter in your space.
Ideal for Bigger Bedrooms: Novogratz Kelly Bed with Storage. The taller headboard and bigger size of this storage bed make it more for ideal for bigger bedrooms. It is not lacking in style and quality though. This bed still brings all those qualities to the table.
Gorgeous Bed: Discovery World Furniture Charcoal Full Bookcase Captain Bed. Got more things to stow away? This should be the perfect choice for you. It has more storage space and it doesn’t hurt that it also looks gorgeous. The finish looks a bit raw but that is what makes it more charming.
Make sure you get the right mattress for your storage bed. Check out our homepage and get some recommendations on the best mattresses to buy.
Latest posts by Abby Larson (see all)
- How Much Does A Car Battery Cost? Our Complete Guide - June 14, 2018
- Best CPAP Mask Reviews (2019) - June 14, 2018
- Carpet Cost FAQ: Installation Prices & Everything Else You Need To Know - June 14, 2018