Your toddler deserves a good night’s sleep as well. Toddlers can benefit a lot from having a comfortable and reuniting sleep. With sleep, they can grow better as sleep is the time when our body releases growth hormones. Toddlers typically need 10-14 hours a day of sleep and with that amount of time, you should provide them with the best sleep environment.
A regular pillow might not be the best for your toddler because of how lofty, heavy and big these are. They might even contain allergenic components that can trigger an allergic reaction. Toddlers still don’t have a fully developed immune system, so they might become prone to allergic reactions such as wheezing, runny nose, rashes and difficulty breathing if they are exposed to the allergens in the pillows. Given how many adult pillows contain synthetic components and are not resistant to molds and dust mites, they are definitely not the best to give to your toddler.
Today, there are toddler pillows that are completely safe to use, made from organic components and have the right size and comfort more suitable for toddlers. Find out today which of the toddler pillows out there are worth buying for your little one.
When Should You Give a Pillow to Your Toddler?
The general consensus is to wait until your toddler is 2 years old to give a toddler pillow. Just because your toddler has outgrown his or her crib and has moved to a toddler bed doesn’t mean a toddler pillow is already needed. Many toddlers can still sleep soundly even without it. But if you believe in the sleep benefits of a pillow, wait until your child has reached the recommended age.
Also take into consideration existing health issues. For instance, if your toddler suffers from allergic reactions, waiting even longer to introduce a pillow might be necessary.
You can also tell that your toddler is ready for a toddler pillow if he/she can move independently. They should be able to sit, stand and roll around on their own. They should also be able to move around objects such as stuffed toys easily.
Timing is crucial as the risks for sleep-related infant deaths are very real. Loose accessories on the bed such as stuffed objects and a pillow can cause suffocation if the child using it does not yet know how to move these out of the way.
But make sure you also don’t miss out on the many benefits of a good pillow such as better neck support during sleep. Just find the right one suitable for your toddler to use.
What to Avoid When Buying a Toddler Pillow
In order to find a good toddler pillow, it is important to know what to avoid. here are some of the things to consider:
1. Avoid buying a pillow that is too soft.
Fluffy and ultra-plush pillows are not great for toddlers as they can increase risks for suffocation. The head of your toddler can sink in the pillow and can impede breathing. That means you should avoid anything that might include feather or goose down. Memory foam or latex foam pillows are ideal as they have a firmer comfort level.
2. Avoid buying something that is too big.
The standard pillow size for adults will surely be too big for your toddler. Your toddler might not even be able to lift that out of the way, especially if it is stuffed with fillings that can be quite heavy. Ideally, you would want to get something that is about 12 inches and length and 16 inches in width.
3. Avoid unhealthy fillers.
When buying toddler pillows, check what is incorporated inside. It should be made from hypoallergenic or organic components as these are the ones that are healthier for your little one. Avoid anything that might be a choking hazard such as those that contain pellets or sand. Look instead for natural fiber filling or polyester foams. Organic cotton is also an ideal option.
4. Avoid pillows that might contain allergenic ingredients.
Check the list of materials and ingredients used in making the pillow. It should not be treated with chemical ingredients. Everything from the cover to the filling inside must be made from natural materials in order to prevent allergic reactions.
5. Avoid something with loose covers.
Make sure the cover that houses the filling inside is tight. You don’t want excess fiber to pose suffocation hazards. Something that has a tight-fitting cover would be a perfect fit.
In addition to these, you would also want to look for a toddler pillow that is resistant to dust mites and molds as well. Pillows are difficult to clean, so one that does not require too much cleaning can be a good choice in your household. Also make sure you can easily pop it in the washing machine. Toddler pillows that contain sensitive and delicate materials might not work so well in a washer.
Every filling is different as well. Some might have a mixture of different ingredients while others might rely only on one single ingredient. Whatever you choose, it should be hypoallergenic and does not emit a chemical smell. Some materials might give off an off-gassing effect, which is something you would want to avoid. If you keep these tips in mind, you should be able to find a toddler pillow that is suitable for your needs.
Best Toddler Pillow 2019 Reviews
After checking out all the other toddler pillows out there, here are the ones we truly believe are the best choices:
- Little One’s Pillow Toddler Pillow with Delicate Organic Cotton Shell
- KeaBabies Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase
- Little Sleepy Head Toddler Pillow
- Dreamtown Kids Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase
These are the features we loved about these pillows:
1. Little One’s Pillow Toddler Pillow with Delicate Organic Cotton Shell
Soothe your child to sleep with this comfortable pillow that has an organic cotton shell. The manufacturer takes pride in sourcing the organic cotton exclusively from the farms in the US. You can be assured that it is absolutely free from chemicals and that it is made from components that are completely hypoallergenic.
This pillow has a size of 13 inches by 18 inches that should be just right for the average toddler’s head. The loft is just right to provide a good amount of height, but should you need something different, you can call the company and ask them to customize.
You can also easily bring this with you on travels together with the compact umbrella strollers for tall parents we have featured in here.
- Superior comfort and quality. They made use of 100% organic cotton sourced locally.
- It is free from any kind of chemicals or pesticides. That means your toddler won’t be exposed to all these unwanted ingredients.
- The cover of this pillow is resistant to mites. It has a high thread count to make sure no dust mites can get in.
- You don’t even need a pillowcase because the cover is already soft enough. That eliminates the need for a potentially suffocating ingredients.
- The filling is made from soft cluster fiber. It can last for a long time and it is also hypoallergenic.
- Throw it in the washer using a cold and gentle cycle and not worry about rigorous cleaning.
- Some said it is a bit on the flat side.
2. KeaBabies Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase
There are so many good toddler pillows out there but none as ergonomically good as this one. It has been tested by children of different ages in order to test its height and softness level. With this pillow, the loft, size and softness suit just right for optimal spinal development. Since it is made from 100% hypoallergenic cotton, you can also be assured that it will not harm your toddler in any way. It is available in 13 inches by 18 inches size – just right to easily bring this with you on your travels.
- It comes with adorable safari prints. Your child will like the way it looks, and you shouldn’t have a hard time matching it with the rest of your child’s room décor.
- Made from 220TC cotton that also boasts of 100% hypoallergenic properties.
- You can machine-wash it using cold water. Just air dry it to maintain its fluffiness.
- It comes with 365 days Free Replacement Promise
- Just the right size to bring with you anywhere.
- Ergonomic. It provides a good amount of support. It also aids in spinal development.
- A lot of parents said their children loved how soft this is.
- Some said theirs became lumpy after washing and a few months of use.
3. Little Sleepy Head Toddler Pillow
Children have delicate health and as such, they also need delicate pillows. This one is a good fit with its 100% hypoallergenic properties that can prevent allergic reactions. It has just the right size and loft. You won’t find it too thick or too flat. The outside of this pillow is made from high quality organic cotton while the inside is made from poly-micro gel fiber that is hypoallergenic. There are no chemicals, pesticides and other undesirables in this pillow.
- Made from organic cotton exterior.
- This one has just the right size for traveling. The thickness is just right as well. It holds its shape well even after many uses.
- It can be easily cleaned.
- The inside is made from gel fiber that won’t cause allergic reactions.
- It is backed by great customer service.
- The quality is beyond what is expected. These pillows are truly made to last.
- Some said it shrinks when you wash it.
4. Dreamtown Kids Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase
This might be an inexpensive pillow, but it definitely has a lot of high-end features. It is made from a blend of poly and cotton. It is slightly bigger than standard toddler pillows with its size of 14 inches by 19 inches. You can also ask the company to use less filling if you feel like it is too lofty for your child. Although the inside is made from a synthetic filling, it is still 100% hypoallergenic and nontoxic.
- Bigger than others out there, so it might be better for bigger toddlers.
- It is also thicker, not lumpy and great for this who want more loft.
- Cheaper than others out there.
- Many children have found this pillow comfortable. It even works for stomach sleepers.
- You can have the thickness customized to work for your specific needs.
- Recommended by chiropractors.
- This pillow is mold and mildew resistant.
- Some said this can get lumpy over time.
Which One Should You Get?
All these pillows are ideal but if you want to decide better, here are the things you should consider:
Locally Sourced Materials: Little One’s Pillow Toddler Pillow with Delicate Organic Cotton Shell. The manufacturer is transparent about where they are getting their pillows. This one has organic cotton sourced from local farms, so you can be assured of their safety and quality.
Good for Spinal Health: KeaBabies Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase. Get this one that provides the right amount of spinal support. It also comes in cute safari print that your kids will love. The size and height of this pillow is just right, and it boasts of softness that your kids will find comfortable.
Just the Right Size: Little Sleepy Head Toddler Pillow. This one is different from other pillows because of its gel fiber filling. Other pillows have polyester fiber filling but this one boasts of this hypoallergenic maternal. It also has just the right size and height, according to many customers. Their children loved using it and did not have issues getting a good night’s sleep.
Inexpensive Choice: Dreamtown Kids Toddler Pillow with Pillowcase. Get this one if you are on a budget but would still like to give your child the best. It is bigger than standard toddler pillows out there and has a good height that will provide a lot of neck support.
For a more comfortable sleep, visit this page.
Need more help finding the best sleep gears? Our homepage will show you where to get started on your hunt for the best. We can show you which products to get and how to buy sleep gear that works with your personal needs and preferences.
Latest posts by Abby Larson (see all)
- How Much Does A Car Battery Cost? Our Complete Guide - June 14, 2018
- Best CPAP Mask Reviews (2019) - June 14, 2018
- Carpet Cost FAQ: Installation Prices & Everything Else You Need To Know - June 14, 2018