You don’t need to be stuck in a tight and constricted bedroom. If you look for multi-functional or space-saving furniture, you can maximize what little space you have. One such space-saving solution you should look for is a bunk bed.
If you are on the hunt for a good, well-made and aesthetically pleasing bunk bed, you came to the right place. Below you will see which of the bunk beds out there we highly recommend because of their many benefits.
4 Reasons to Choose Bunk Beds
Why choose a bunk bed? With the many options out there for beds, why should you opt for a bunk bed? Here are the reasons why:
1. A bunk bed can save you so much space.
A traditional bunk bed is composed of two beds with one top of the other and suspended with the help of four poles. A ladder is installed to make it easier to access the top bunk bed. It allows you to utilize vertical space, so there is more floor space to be used in the bedroom. You can add more furniture such as dressers and tables to make the room more functional.
2. It can be a versatile solution in the bedroom.
Some bunk beds come with another pull-out bed underneath. It can be installed in a guest bedroom so that it accommodates more people. You can also put it in the kids’ room if you have a limited space. It is so versatile and has a lot of uses, making this a great all-around solution at home.
3. It can be a good design standpoint.
If you take a look at the various bunk beds being offered today, you can see how well-designed these are. Some have a top space for the bed and underneath it can be converted into an office space or a lounge area. It’s the perfect choice for people who want to have more functional space but don’t want their room to look cluttered. They are fun to integrate in a space and they instantly leave a lasting impression.
Some bunk beds even have extra storage spaces. You can display your books and other bedroom essentials.
4. They are well-made.
Since there is a top bed, manufacturers make sure the base will hold the additional weight effectively. That means reinforcing the base to make it more stable. These products are also usually crafted from the best materials.
5. You can save a lot of money.
Imagine having a multi-functional furniture in your home. you don’t have to buy 2 separate beds or buy an extra bookcase or a storage shelf. Everything is already in this piece of furniture.
Tips in Buying the Best Bunk Bed
Buying a bunk bed doesn’t have to be difficult. With the help of the following tips, you should be able to find one that will work seamlessly for you:
1. Choose a style that will work in the design scheme of your bedroom.
Consider the design aesthetic you are going for in the space. If you are going for a minimalist set-up, you would want to choose a bunk bed design that has cleaner lines and a more streamlined look. If you are going for a more colorful room, choose something that has a more striking color. You can go for other design schemes such as nautical and vintage.
2. Make sure it is a material that can withstand wear and tear and frequent usage.
If you are choosing wood, it should be made from solid hardwood and not some composite material that can easily succumb to wear and tear and won’t hold up against heavier loads. Stainless steel materials are also ideal because of their ability to hold a lot of weight but it should be made from high-quality steel and that everything is welded well to prevent the top bunk bed from caving in.
3. It should fit in the space you have allotted for it.
Measure the space you have allotted for the bunk bed before shopping. Measure not just the floor space but also the vertical space. There should be enough head clearance for the top bunk bed. If it is too close to the ceiling, it might feel constricting and suffocating to the user.
4. Check the stairs mechanism.
Can you climb up the top bunk bed easily? Does the entire bed creak when you climb up and down the stairs? These are the things you should consider prior to buying.
5. Check the size of the bed.
Do you want the top and bottom beds to be of the same size? Some bunk beds have a lower bed that is bigger than the upper one. You can fit more people at the bottom bed. Make sure you choose the size that will work for your needs.
Best Bunk Beds 2019 Reviews
Here are the bunk beds we find ideal:
- Max & Lily Solid Wood Twin Over Full Bunk Bed
- DHP Twin-Over-Twin Bunk Bed with Metal Frame and Ladder
- Storkcraft Long Horn Solid Hardwood Twin Bunk Bed
- FCH Twin Over Twin Bunk Bed
Check out the following features of these bunk beds:
1. Max & Lily Solid Wood Twin Over Full Bunk Bed
Bring quality bunk beds into a guest bedroom or your kids’ bedroom with this one from Max & Lily. Out of all the choices you have from this bunk bed manufacturer, this one is a sterling choice with its twin over full bunk bed feature that give more room for your children to grow into. Both beds can become free-standing beds.
With a weight capacity of 400 pounds for each bed, this can easily accommodate adult weight as well. Install it in a room with at least 8-foot-high ceilings. The ladder features a safe hand-hole detailing that will truly make this an ideal for any bedroom.
- This is a fitting choice for adults but can be a great bunk bed that your kids can easily grow into. Aside from the bigger bed space, it also has a space underneath for an extra trundle bed or additional storage. All these are sold separately.
- It is made from New Zealand Pine wood constructed to perfection and can last for many years even with minimal maintenance.
- The beds are safe even for children to use. With their weight capacity of 400 pounds for each bed and low VOC and non-toxic finish, this should be a solid bunk bed you can rely on.
- If you are looking for a flexible bed, this should be a good choice. The 2 bunk beds can be separated to turn into a free-standing bed. Additionally, you can also add drawers or an additional trundle bed to suit our needs.
- The ladder is reversible and easy to climb. It also has safety features for the kids.
- The paint, although low in VOCs and non-toxic, can emit an unwanted scent. You need to air it out or open the windows in the room to get rid of the smell.
2. DHP Twin-Over-Twin Bunk Bed with Metal Frame and Ladder
We recommend getting this bunk bed with a metal frame if you are looking for a simpler design that will work in a smaller and more minimalist space. It has a more contemporary look that will fit in more modern spaces.
This bunk bed features twin mattresses set in a metal frame that is durable and sturdy. You can get in and out of the top bunk bed through the ladder that is slanted for safety purposes. The top bed has a weight limit of 200 lbs. and the bottom one has a weight limit of 225 lbs.
- It has a less bulky appearance compared to wood frames. The color also makes this a universally appealing choice, so whether you are putting it in a girl’s or a boy’s room, this should fit.
- There is still plenty of space under the bottom bed. You can easily hide storage boxes under there to maximize the space you have.
- It is simple to assemble and doesn’t weight as much as a wood bunk bed. It also has a smaller footprint that doesn’t easily bump into things and doesn’t get in the way.
- It has a good weight capacity. The ladder is also slanted for easier access to the top bed.
- This might not be the easiest to assemble. There were those who had difficulty assembling it.
3. Storkcraft Long Horn Solid Hardwood Twin Bunk Bed
This bunk bed has the approval of the ASTM, which means it has undergone strict testing and has been tested for low-quality materials. The manufacturer made use of Rubberwood, which is a kind of wood known for its higher density and better sturdiness and durability compared to the usual furniture wood such as pine wood.
The versatility of this bunk bed makes this so reliable for different rooms. You can install it in your guest bedroom or the kids’ bedroom.
- This is a gorgeous bunk that also has a safety to boot. It has been tested by different organizations and garnered the approval of CPSC and ASTM as it passed safety standards. This bed has a non-toxic finish and is made from materials that will not emit toxic chemicals.
- It is an eco-friendly choice because of the wood used to make it. The material is rubberwood, a material known for its quality and durability. You can expect your bunk bed to last for a long time.
- The ladder features a four-step function for easier usage. The top bed also has full-length guardrails for added protection.
- It comes with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- The minimal instructions make way for a more difficult installation.
4. FCH Twin Over Twin Bunk Bed
Maximize the space you have with this bunk bed that is made from durable steel tube. The upper bed can accommodate up to 220 lbs. while the bottom bed has 330 lbs. of weight capacity. It feels secure and doesn’t squeak or shake when you move because of the tight screws.
- This is a sturdy bunk bed. The ends are hinged properly. It feels stable even when you climb on the upper bunk bed.
- The weight capacity is higher than other bunk beds. This makes it an ideal choice for adults’ spare bedroom as well.
- The fence height for the upper bunk bed is high. It should prevent accidentally falling down. The ladder design enhances safety.
- It is a nice bunk bed with a minimalist design.
- There were customers who said it took such a long time to assemble.
Which One Should You Choose?
Long-Lasting and Beautiful: Max & Lily Solid Wood Twin Over Full Bunk Bed. Your child can grow into this spacious bunk bed. It has a high weight capacity as well that can accommodate the needs of your growing child and even by adults.
Simple Design: DHP Twin-Over-Twin Bunk Bed with Metal Frame and Ladder. Go for this one if you are looking for a simple design that doesn’t look too bulky. It has simple lines and a no-fuss construction, making this more ideal for smaller spaces.
Good Quality: Storkcraft Long Horn Solid Hardwood Twin Bunk Bed. A lot of people commended the quality of this bunk bed. Because it is made from a hardwood material, it can last for a long time. It is also resistant to damages and to premature wear and tear.
Inexpensive Choice: FCH Twin Over Twin Bunk Bed. Don’t have a lot of money for a bunk bed? Don’t break the bank with this one. It is more affordable than the wooden ones, but it still has the simple and sleek look that will work in any space.
Whatever you choose, make sure it is the right size for the people using it. It should be sturdy and can last for a long time. Get the right mattress for the bunk beds as well. Check out our homepage for some tips on how to find the best mattress.
Latest posts by Abby Larson (see all)
- How Much Does A Car Battery Cost? Our Complete Guide - June 14, 2018
- Best CPAP Mask Reviews (2019) - June 14, 2018
- Carpet Cost FAQ: Installation Prices & Everything Else You Need To Know - June 14, 2018