You might only be hearing about the benefits of latex mattress now, but its history actually dates back to the late 20s. Dunlop first came out with their version of the latex foam mattress back in 1920s. This mattress is made from the sap of rubber trees, yes, the same material used to create things such as gloves and hoses.
To this day, many people still rely on the benefits of the latex mattress. If you are on the lookout for a good latex mattress that can help you in getting the best quality of sleep, read until the end of this article to find out what we recommend.
Why Choose Latex Mattress?
What makes the latex mattress stand out from the other mattress technologies? Why should you choose this type of mattress? Here are the reasons why you should choose a latex mattress and what makes it a cut above the rest:
1. It has a good balance between support and comfort.
What makes the latex mattress different is its usually semi-firm comfort layer. It has a bouncier comfort level that allows it to provide a good balance of support and comfort. This might be appealing to people who find memory foam mattresses too firm for them. It also has excellent reduced motion transfer feature, which is a good choice if you have a bed partner and you don’t want your individual movements to disrupt the other person’s sleep.
2. It is a natural material that is safe to use.
Latex foam is crafted from natural rubber. Because it is more natural, it is more ideal to use if you have sensitivity to strong chemicals. It does not have an off-gassing effect unlike other chemically-made mattresses out there and won’t cause allergic reactions.
3. It has flame-retardant properties.
Real latex mattresses, particularly the Talalay latex mattress has flame-retardant properties. This means the mattress won’t catch fire easily. Those looking for a safer type of mattress to use for their kids’ bedroom, this can be a good choice due to its flame-retardant functionalities.
4. The air circulation and breathability of these mattresses are better.
Latex mattresses have an open cell construction. This means air can flow and pass through the inside of the mattress with ease. It prevents heat and condensation from building up in the mattress. You can rely on latex mattress during hot summer seasons because it stays cool to the touch and does not retain heat.
5. It is resistant to allergens and dust mites.
Unlike other mattresses where you might have to encase it in a protective covering to keep dust mites and allergens away, this mattress can protect itself naturally with no additional help. That is because it has natural antibacterial properties. It is also resistant to molds and dust mites formation.
Tips in Finding the Best Latex Mattress to Buy
If you are ready to get yourself a nice latex mattress, here are a few tips you need to keep in mind, so you can identify the best latex mattress that fits your sleep preferences more:
1. Look for a completely natural latex mattress.
The thing is, not all the latex mattresses out there are 100% made from latex. Some might contain a mix of synthetic components. So, while the mattress might be marketed as a latex mattress, it might actually contain other chemical components. It defeats the purpose of getting a latex mattress as the synthetic components won’t give you anti-allergen and hypoallergenic benefits.
2. Decide between Dunlop and Talalay latex.
There are two basic technologies for latex foam mattress you need to decide on. You can choose from Dunlop or Talalay latex. They are both good quality latex foam mattress. The difference is in their firmness level. Dunlop latex is firmer while Talalay latex has a plusher or bouncier mattress. Which one you should choose will depend on your specific needs.
Some people prefer the softness of the Talalay latex, especially for those with back pain issues. It seems to be a better choice for people with lower back pain. Dunlop latex, on the other hand, can provide upper back support better, so you are less likely to suffer from stiff neck and shoulder pain with the help of this mattress.
3. Check how thick the latex layer is.
A flimsy 2-inch layer might not suffice in providing the comfort and support that you need. That said, you might benefit more from at least 3 inches of latex layer. This should be a good thickness level if you are looking for more effective support and comfort. It also has good breathability that works in preventing the mattress from retaining heat.
4. Does it come with other technologies?
Some mattresses might combine latex with other technologies such as spring or memory foam. Find out which layer the latex foam is located. When combined with memory foam, the latex foam is usually placed at the center in order to allow air to circulate easily and prevent condensation from building up inside the mattress. In the case of spring mattresses, the latex foam is integrated on top to hide the coils.
Which technology you should choose will depend on your preferences. Go for a combination of memory foam and latex foam if you are looking for more support. If you want more bounce to the mattress, the combination of spring technology and latex foam might prove to be a more ideal choice.
5. It should have a comfortable cover.
Does it come with a comfortable cover? Some mattresses may even feature a removable cover. Make sure the cover is soft and plush, so it won’t chafe the skin.
Best Latex Mattress Reviews
After thoroughly checking the various latex mattress offerings today, here are the ones we found the best:
- LUCID 10 Inch Latex Foam Mattress
- Sleep on Latex Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress
- Linenspa 10 Inch Latex Hybrid Mattress
- Latex for Less Queen Natural Latex Mattress
Here are the features you can get if you choose these mattresses:
1. LUCID 10 Inch Latex Foam Mattress
A mattress with a firmer comfort level, this is what can solve your common upper body aches and pains. It can boost the quality of your sleep with its latex surface that effectively responds to the contours of your body. It is more forgiving than other foam mattresses out there, thereby relieving common pressure aches and pains. With its good breathability and excellent airflow system, this mattress is comfortable to use all year round, no matter what external temperatures are.
- It has a 10-inch latex foam mattress layer, which is thicker than many mattresses out there boasting of latex comfort layer. You can get a firmer comfort level, ideal if you prefer more support.
- The exterior TENCEL blend fabric cover is breathable and soft. It immediately enhances sleep and regulates internal temperature, so the mattress does not get hot even in the summer season.
- Not all mattresses out there boast of completely safe functions but this one is a cut above the rest with its CertiPUR-US certification that means it is completely free from any kind of harmful chemicals such as mercury, ozone depleters, phthalates and many more that can put you in harm’s way.
- The manufacturer offers an impressive 10-year warranty that covers all kinds of manufacturer defects.
- Be wary because this mattress is really on the firm side. If you don’t like something that is too firm, it might not be the best choice for your needs.
2. Sleep on Latex Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress
Tired of seeing all those latex mattresses advertised as pure latex but not really with their chemical and synthetic components? You won’t be disappointed with this one because it is 100% made from natural latex. The base layer boasts of 6 inches of pure and natural latex foam that provides optimum support and durability to the mattress. The top has 2 inches of latex layer that is just as natural to provide the comfort that you need to get restful sleep.
- This mattress is completely natural. There are no synthetic components that has been integrated into it. The latex foam mattress has been crafted the manufacturer’s Sri Lanka factory.
- The organic wool provides superior and luxurious comfort. Aside from that, it is also a fire-retardant material that is also hypoallergenic and boasting of antibacterial properties.
- Because it is organic, it is better for the environment. It does not leave harmful residues behind and there are no toxic components that can cause illnesses.
- A lot of consumers said this is one of the best mattresses they have used when it comes to motion isolation. It also does not hold on to heat. It is quite comfortable to use even in the summer.
- Since this is completely a latex mattress, it is quite heavy. The price is also not the most ideal, especially for those on a tight budget.
3. Linenspa 10 Inch Latex Hybrid Mattress
The latex component of this mattress is mixed with other types of foams for a combination of features that balance out support and comfort. It is not too firm, ideal for those who want more bounciness in their mattress. It also features a layer of spring coils where the coils are made from high-quality steel matters and wrapped individually to isolate motion and to prevent the edges from sagging.
- It might be a hybrid mattress, but the latex foam layer is thicker than others you can find in the market. The latex technology teams up with coil spring technology to create an ideal combination of firmness and softness. It is more responsive than other firmer mattresses out there.
- The medium-firm comfort level is ideal for those who find memory foam mattresses too firm. It is also recommended for different types of sleepers. So, whether you like sleeping on your stomach, your back or your side, this mattress should be a sterling choice for you.
- It doesn’t feel as if you will sink in the mattress, which is a common problem with other foam mattresses. However, it does provide a good amount of support to the hips and lower back.
- This mattress is backed by a 10-year warranty. It is also one of the most affordable ones out there.
- The bottom of the mattress tends to be slippery and keeps on sliding away from the frame.
4. Latex for Less Queen Natural Latex Mattress
Made from 6 inches of 1000% Dunlop latex with 85 density level, 2 inches of 100% Talalay latex with a medium density and half an inch of 100% natural wool layer, you can bet that this is one of the most comfortable and luxurious latex mattresses you will get. Not harmful chemicals are integrated into this. It even comes with 2 sides of firmness options. Just flip it to your preferred set-up if you want a different comfort level.
- All layers of this mattress are natural. The combination of both Dunlop and Talalay latex strikes a balance between firmness and softness.
- You have 2 side options. You can choose the firmer one if you need more support or the medium firm one if you like something that has more give to it.
- This is a breathable mattress. No heat retention will happen especially in the summer. Everything about this mattress is also handcrafted.
- The thickness is just right. You can still get in and out of the bed easily. A lot of people also commented on how well it holds its shape.
- Some people might find the mattress too firm for them.
Which One Should You Get?
Will Not Break the Bank: LUCID 10 Inch Latex Foam Mattress. On a tight budget? This should be a great choice. It’s a bit more on the firm side but if this is the firmness level you prefer, get this mattress.
100% Natural Latex: Sleep on Latex Pure Green Natural Latex Mattress. So many mattresses out there advertised as latex mattresses are not completely made from latex. This one is an exception. It is made from pure latex and boasts of organic wool backing, which makes this a perfect choice for those looking for superior comfort.
Cheapest Choice: Linenspa 10 Inch Latex Hybrid Mattress. We recommend this for people who don’t want to spend so much money on a mattress. It is very inexpensive but still provides the support you would expect from a latex mattress.
More Firmness Options: Latex for Less Queen Natural Latex Mattress. If you don’t know which firmness level is right for you, try this. The two sides have different firmness level. You can choose the one that suits your needs.
Make sure you check out our homepage for more information on mattresses. Read our various reviews on different types of mattresses to be guided on which ones to choose.
- How Much Does A Car Battery Cost? Our Complete Guide - June 14, 2018
- Best CPAP Mask Reviews - June 14, 2018
- Carpet Cost FAQ: Installation Prices & Everything Else You Need To Know - June 14, 2018