There are different kinds of beds today that bring more convenience to our lives. One such bed is the rollaway bed. Also known as the folding bed, this is a type of bed with a frame that you can easily fold down to a small size and hide in a corner of the room.
If you are looking for the best rollaway bed to add to your home, you came to the right place. We looked for the ones with the folding system, durable and corrosion-resistant materials and a bed that will truly improve the quality of sleep. Keep on reading to find out which products we highly recommend.
Here are just some of the reasons you should own at least one rollaway bed at home:
Benefits of Having a Rollaway Bed at Home
1. It can be used as a guest bed.
Your guests deserve a good night’s rest as well. Rather than inflate an air bed for them that will make them feel like they are camping out, give them a real bed instead as if they are sleeping in a hotel room. Be the ultimate host with a rollaway bed in tow.
2. It is cheaper than a regular bed.
If you need to equip a guest bedroom with a bed, consider getting the rollaway bed instead. It is not as expensive as a full-sized and a real bed, but it can still offer the quality sleep you wish to give to your guests. You can save so much money if you opt for this bed instead.
3. Rollaway beds are more mobile.
These beds come equipped with casters on the legs, which means they can be transported to any room without hitch. Aside from the ability to fold it down, so it will easily fit in narrow bed frames, you can also roll it around to easily place it where you want to put it. It is very convenient, especially if you are living alone.
4. It is ideal for people who move a lot.
If you move a lot, committing to a standard bed set-up might be difficult for you. A standard bed frame can be heavy and cumbersome. It can take up a lot of space if you are moving. With a rollaway bed, you can just fold it in and easily stash it in a moving truck.
5. It is a good choice for recreational vehicles.
Do you own an RV? Get this type of bed then. It is smaller and more compact and has portable benefits, which makes it the perfect choice for RV users.
Factors to Consider When Buying Rollaway Beds
Think about your decision carefully. Choose rollaway beds that will truly provide you with a lot of benefits. Here are the factors you need to consider:
Solid and Well-Built Frame. The frame should be made from materials that can hold up heavy loads easily. Since there are no foundations and box springs to provide support to the mattress, the bed frame itself should be durable and well-built. Go for those with reinforced tubing for added stability.
Folding Mechanism. Check out the folding mechanism. Will you be able to fold it in half and then lock it in place? You don’t want the bed to keep on unfolding in storage. Additionally, you would also want to make sure you can unfold it seamlessly. Some rollaway beds can be difficult to unfold, which can be a pain to set up if you have guests over.
Mattress. What kind of mattress is included in it? Look for a mattress that is thick enough to provide comfort to the users. It should have a good technology that can support the hips, neck and spine. The mattress should also be devoid of chemicals that can cause an off-gassing effect. You might also want to look for a mattress that has breathable functions so that it does not retain heat and does not cause condensation to build up in it.
Portability. It should come with pivoting casters. The casters should roll in different directions for easier transport. It should also lock in place when you need to store the bed.
Size and Weight. How big of a bed do you need for the space you have allotted for it? Go for a twin-size bed if you frequently have guests over. It should have the right size that can accommodate couples as well. You can even use it as a spare bed in case yours gives out. Make sure you check the weight. It should have just the right level of weight so that it is easy to carry or roll around. A heavier rollaway bed might be transport or transfer more difficult. Check the height of the frame from the floor as well. Getting in and out of bed should be easy. Look for a bed height that allows you to sit up on the bed with your feet not dangling off of the floor.
Warranty. Since there are a lot of moving parts, you should look for a rollaway bed that is backed by a warranty. If there are parts that get damaged during transport or during set-up, find out if the manufacturer will honor the warranty. The warranty is basically useless if it doesn’t have a customer service to back it up.
Best Rollaway Bed 2019 Reviews
After checking out the various offerings in the market today, here are the rollaway beds we found the best:
- Milliard Diplomat Folding Bed
- LUCID Rollaway Folding Guest Bed with Memory Foam Mattress
- Mecor Rollaway Bed with Mattress
- Zinus Roll Away Folding Guest Bed
Find out more what is in store for you if you choose these products:
1. Milliard Diplomat Folding Bed
Milliard is an expert when it comes to providing quality sleep. They make sure their mattresses are top-notch and their sleep systems are easy to use. This folding bed is made from a frame that has the best quality of steel tubing. The base has been double reinforced in order to prevent bending over time. The latticed folding frame provides a good amount of support to the mattress but without being too stiff. Each leg is equipped with locking braces to make sure the bed doesn’t move around while you toss and turn.
And just because it is a rollaway bed doesn’t mean you can’t have a quality mattress. This bed comes with a 5-inch memory foam mattress that has a medium-firm, 2.5 density firmness rating that is suitable for all types of sleepers. The cover is removable, so you can wash it with ease. It is also a material that is known for its flame-retardant properties.
- The stability of this bed can’t be matched. The legs are reinforced and durable and it has a solid framework that truly provides the support that you need during sleep. The lattice base prevents the mattress from sagging over time.
- The memory foam mattress included in it has a universally appealing comfort. It is not to stiff and has a soft contouring effect for improved sleep. It also brings peace of mind since it is CertiPUR-US certified.
- Assembly is a cinch. It features a clamshell folding system that easily closes and opens as needed. It also makes it more compatible with different mattresses as well as mattress toppers.
- There is plenty of room for two people on this bed but has a compact footprint that you won’t have a hard time finding a space in your guest bedroom for. When folded down, it is just 14 inches thick.
- The clasp that holds the bed together when stowing it away tends to open according to a customer. This can be a hassle when you are storing it. Additionally, the bed might not accommodate heavier loads.
2. LUCID Rollaway Folding Guest Bed with Memory Foam Mattress
Save yourself the trouble of setting up a bed with this folding guest bed that sets up in seconds. LUCID made installation a cinch for anyone who just can’t be bothered with spending hours hooking up the parts of a bed together. You can basically unbox and unwind this thing in just minutes.
Equipped with a 4-inch memory foam mattress that will sit on the bed’s hammock-like suspension system, you will surely give those hotel beds a run for their money with this one. Your guests will thank you for going out of your way to make their stay nice and comfortable.
- No additional tool is needed to install this in the spare bedroom. The manufacturing company made sure you can unbox it and use it with minimal installation needs. Disassembly is also easy and when you need to hide it away, simply fold it in half and lock it in place.
- The mattress is made from 3 inches of support foam and an inch of memory foam. The memory foam layer has a medium-feel to it that will surely provide a good quality of sleep no matter what type of sleeper is using this bed.
- The mattress is safe to use. It doesn’t contain harmful chemicals that can have an off-gassing effect. Even children can use this mattress.
- The caster wheels have a dual locking mechanism. It locks in place, so you don’t have to worry that it will roll away when in storage.
- The braces that come with it needs to be filed down as the edges are quite sharp. The holes for the short braces may also need some more drilling so that the wheel bolts can easily go through.
3. Mecor Rollaway Bed with Mattress
The seamless folding design of this rollaway bed saves you a lot of space in your home but without compromising comfort. It features a trident buckle to secure the bed close when in storage and to pen it easily when in using it. The bed itself has a strong metal frame and the mattress is being supported by a breathable fabric material. This material is then secured to the frame with a spring metal.
With a 3-inch memory foam mattress sitting on top of it, it is a bed setup that can give anyone the comfort they are looking for while staying at another person’s house.
- This is an affordable choice, ideal for people on a budget.
- It folds down easily through a clasp that secures both parts of the bed. You can easily roll it to a corner of the room through its heavy-duty wheels.
- It is easy to assemble. You can have it set up by yourself in mere minutes.
- The mattress is very comfortable. It is not as stiff as other memory foam mattresses out there.
- There were those who said instructions are confusing, so they had trouble installing it. Some also said it doesn’t have an ideal floor. It sits too closely to the floor.
4. Zinus Roll Away Folding Guest Bed
Save more money with this rollaway bed that features a bed frame made from 12 inches of strong steel. It folds seamlessly and has center legs equipped with wheels. The mattress included is a mixture of comfort foam, high density foam and viscolatex foam.
- The metal frame is quite strong. A lot of people said it held up well even with heavier loads. It also folds down neatly and can be stowed away easily without it springing open.
- The mattress included is quite comfortable despite it not being a high-end foam mattress.
- It is one of the most affordable choices out there. If you only need a spare bed to be used occasionally, this will not break the bank.
- The mattress is a bit on the thin side according to users. Some had to replace it with a thicker one.
Which One Should You Get?
Lightweight Choice: Milliard Diplomat Folding Bed. Homeowners will never have to deal with a heavy rollaway bed again. This bed folds easily and has a weight that should be easy to carry around and to set up when needed.
Easy to Set Up: LUCID Rollaway Folding Guest Bed with Memory Foam Mattress. This bed is so simple to set up, you don’t need additional tools just to put it up. Even those that don’t have experience with assembling a bed will have this set up in a minute or two.
More Affordable Than Others: Mecor Rollaway Bed with Mattress. This is the bed you should look for if you are on a budget and you don’t fancy spending too much money.
Great for Occasional Use: Zinus Roll Away Folding Guest Bed. You always have a spare bed to rely on with this rollaway bed that can easily be folded in half and rolled to a corner in the room.
In addition to rollaway beds, also make sure you have the best mattress and bed frame for your main bedroom. Check out our homepage to know which brands out there to rely on.
Latest posts by Abby Larson (see all)
- How Much Does A Car Battery Cost? Our Complete Guide - June 14, 2018
- Best CPAP Mask Reviews (2019) - June 14, 2018
- Carpet Cost FAQ: Installation Prices & Everything Else You Need To Know - June 14, 2018